MILAN — An American tourist was killed by a lightning strike on Sicily’s Mount Etna while hiking Europe’s largest volcano following a period of intense activity, Italian firefighters said Monday.
\n\nMount Etna eruption disrupts travel in Sicily
\n\nThe 29-year-old man from Kansas was rescued by helicopter after being struck Sunday evening in an exposed, barren area. He was later declared dead by medical personnel. His name was not released.
\n\nThe man was found at about 4,600 feet in the Rocca Capra area.
\n\nAuthorities have closed areas of the volcano’s slope to hikers due to the volcano’s prolonged activity — which forced the closure of the airport in nearby Catania for most of last week — but it was unclear whether he was in such an area.
\n\nOfficials said that more people have died on Etna from lightning strikes in recent decades than from volcanic activity. The last eruption-related deaths were in 1987.
Original source: https://www.nbcnews.com/business