The Canadian government is racing to negotiate a deal with the Trump administration in order to avoid a fresh wave of U.S. tariffs set to hit many of its exports to the United States starting on Wednesday.
\n\nHowever, after weeks of meetings, the prospects for a deal remained uncertain Monday, and Canadian broadcaster CBC reported that the two countries were at an impasse.
\n\nSpeaking to reporters, Prime Minister Mark Carney described the talks as “very delicate and intense.” He also said he planned to speak with Trump before the deadline.
\n\nThe new tariffs, if implemented, would hit about $20 billion worth of Canadian products imported to the U.S., including hockey sticks, some clothing, wines, some dairy products and certain building materials such as cement and plywood. Energy products, potash, fish and critical minerals are excluded from the duties.
\n\nIn 2025, Canada ranked as the third-largest source of imports for the U.S., according to Census Bureau data, with more than $380 billion worth of goods crossing the border into the U.S. last year.
\n\nThe White House has said the tariffs are in response to Canada’s “discriminatory treatment of American products” and that it’s “leveling the playing field for crucial American exports…
Original source: https://www.nbcnews.com/business